One key to establishing a great home yoga practice is having a good place for it. You need to create a spot that feels comfortable, personal and enjoyable. It’s your practice and your space so it should feel like you and be representative of your yoga interests and needs. However, there are a few things that every yoga space needs, whether you have a whole yoga shala (room/studio) or only a corner. To try to get to the essentials of your yoga space, think about all 5 senses so you can set the mood for your practice. I have brainstormed some ideas and examples below to help inspire you with creating or perfecting your space.
- Decorate the walls! Mantras, resources and diagrams you’re learning from or just things you think are pretty are all great visuals to add to your space.
- Gods or goddesses that you believe in, wish to invoke, or are drawn to (there’s probably a reason you like that one!) are a great addition to your sacred space
- Plants help make the space soothing and cozy. They are great for de-stressing and purifying the air.
- Find a way to store your props, resources and other things you might want that feels put together to you. You don’t want clutter but you also don’t want to have to go fetch things. Make it easy to get to everything you might need.
- Nice light helps make the space warm and homey.
- Music can energize and invigorate you or calm and soothe you. Find your favorite songs for your practice or your different practices
- Instruments can be a fun addition to your practice- like a bell, chimes or a singing bowl– something you can play along to mantras with or meditate with or to mark the beginning and end of your practice
- Singing along to mantra can also be a fun part of a spiritual practice
[Just so you know, this post contains affiliate links, meaning if you click through and purchase something I will receive a commission. I wouldn’t recommend it if I didn’t love it!]
Smell can really help set the mood for your practice. Aromatherapy can also energize or calm you. Try candles, incense, and essential oils to help choose your mood.
- Make sure you have ample space to move. Some yoga poses stretch a bit past the mat. Try to find enough space so you won’t be hitting a wall or furniture when you reach out
- Be sure you have a good mat (or a few mats if you like to yoga with friends). Think about what features are important to you, like non-slip material or thick support.
- Cozy props are the best! Consider what props would best support your practice, such as
- eye pillow
- yoga blanket
- Comfy yoga clothes are a must. You want to feel free to move in any way that calls to you. Make sure you won’t have to be distracted by any discomfort. (Check out our Yoga Shop for some great yoga pants, tops and accessories!)
Something to sip, like teas or infused water, are nice for before and after yoga. It’s also important to have plenty of water to stay hydrated during your session.
Your yoga space should be a spot that you feel drawn toward, a place where you want to be- just like your yoga practice. Add whatever additional touches you feel you may need to make it absolutely yours.
Want a freebie mini chakras poster?
Enter your email and I'll send it to ya along with our latest posts